My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://williebemacin.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

DNOW: Pure Joy (TLW) Week – Entry 3



I took the time to stop and worship; I am glad I did.
I came across a Shane and Shane song from a few years ago, Embracing Accusations from their “Pages” album. The crescendo occurs with this stirring composition:


Oh the devil’s singing over me an age old song, that I am cursed and gone astray. Singing the first verse so conveniently, over me; he’s forgotten the refrain: Jesus saves.


I need this reminder in a week where it seems that I have been fighting a losing battle in preparing my heart for this DNOW on purity. As we learned from our curriculum (and the Scriptures), purity involves so much more than sexual purity; it involves purity in all areas of life.


We live in one of the most impure cultures in the world.


And often we are right in the middle of it.


How do you tell a group of high school guys about purity, when you are not really sure you have embraced it yourself? Again, move beyond the sexual stuff and examine other areas of purity. For instance, emotions; do I have pure motives? Am I motivated by something other than the glory of God? Do I let my negative emotions dictate what I believe about God and about life? Are my emotions being used to enhance my walk with God or to pursue my own lusts?


How about the body? Am I eating the best things for my body? Do I limit things that are unhealthy for my body to consume? Do I exercise regularly? Am I getting enough sleep? Do I let my emotions (interconnectedness) leave my body in a hyper-stressed state? What is it that I let myself indulge in that is ok for most people, but because of its history as an idol; is not ok for me?


We have become so permissive (because we did not want to become Puritans) that we don’t really evaluate any of the habits or practices that come into our lives. So, if we just let anything in, how the heck can we tell any of these kids to take their purity in life seriously?


We don’t.


Why should they?


I am encouraged by Psalm 103 and 124 today. I encourage you to read them as well.


Here is a snippet:


Psalm 103:1-5 ESV
Psa 103:1 Of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!
Psa 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits,
Psa 103:3 who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases,
Psa 103:4 who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
Psa 103:5 who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.


Psalm 124 ESV
Psa 124:1 A Song of Ascents. Of David. If it had not been the LORD who was on our side-- let Israel now say-
Psa 124:2 if it had not been the LORD who was on our side when people rose up against us,
Psa 124:3 then they would have swallowed us up alive, when their anger was kindled against us;
Psa 124:4 then the flood would have swept us away, the torrent would have gone over us;
Psa 124:5 then over us would have gone the raging waters.
Psa 124:6 Blessed be the LORD, who has not given us as prey to their teeth!
Psa 124:7 We have escaped like a bird from the snare of the fowlers; the snare is broken, and we have escaped!
Psa 124:8 Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.


Grace and Peace

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home